Sentient Media is a nonprofit journalism organization that seeks to create transparency around the roles of animals in our daily lives—from food to companionship to laboratory test subjects.
We believe in delivering the facts, commentaries, and analyses that often get ignored by traditional media. The goal of the Writers’ Collective is to provide training and build a supportive community and network of mentors for emerging writers as they strive to get their stories published in a wide variety of publications. Together, we are advancing the conversation about animals through topics like factory farming, plant-based foods, social justice, and the environment while encouraging humans from all walks of life to consider their relationships with animals more deeply.
The Writers’ Collective brings together mentors, editors, and digital strategists to help emerging writers and advocates build better stories.
We have designed an online training program designed to help turn what drives you as a writer into a stand-alone piece of journalism. Writers and advocates will get the opportunity to network, learn, and practice their new skills in a supportive learning environment.
Become a Member:
If you’d like to build your voice as a writer and advocate, apply to join the Collective today:
- Demonstrate a clear interest in learning about advocacy journalism;
- Commit to completing at least 1 course within 3 months of joining.
- Access to online courses designed to take you from advocate to journalist;
- Access to 50+ mentors and experts;
- Biweekly “Pitch Tips” newsletter: Every week, you’ll receive a round-up of all the relevant pitching opportunities, as well as tips and tricks for how to get published;
- Access to monthly pitch meetings: You’ll be invited to join our monthly pitching meetings, where you’ll get the opportunity to pitch your story ideas and get live feedback from Sentient Media’s editors and special guests;
- Access to monthly networking events with fellow writers and special guests;
- Access to special guest events: Join members-only events for exclusive Q&As and panel discussions;
- Access to one-on-one mentorship: Our mentors will be offering one-on-one meetings to help your writing grow.
The Writers’ Collective currently serves over 100 writers and mentors. Their stories can be seen in a variety of international outlets, including:
Our community collectively offers comprehensive insight and expertise on all aspects of the roles of animals in our lives.
Publishers seeking commentary, reporting, or analysis should contact us at [email protected].
Become a Mentor:
Writers’ Collective mentors contribute story ideas, share relevant articles and news, and provide story-specific guidance to growing writers. Sentient Media offers mentors access to our extensive professional network and also serves as a publishing platform.
If you’re an experienced writer, reporter, or animal advocate and would like to help shape the future of reporting on animals’ lives, then apply to become a Writers’ Collective mentor today: