Sentient Media is a non-profit media outlet covering factory farming and animal policy. With original reporting and key explainers, we aim to change the conversation around our food system.
A successful pitch will fit within at least one of our verticals: agriculture, science, climate, health or justice.
What we ARE looking for:
Original reporting that highlights new investigations, facts or research.
Big-picture features and local reporting — stories that connect to the bigger conversation about the impacts of factory farming.
What we are NOT looking for:
Traditional op-eds and personal essays.
Stories or essays that primarily address a debate within the vegan or animal rights community.
Some examples of our favorite stories to publish:
- New research about farm animals or wildlife, including studies of animal intelligence and perception. These stories tap into the public’s growing curiosity about the inner lives and experiences of animals.
- Factory farm investigations.
- New research on dietary or food system change.
- Reporting on U.S. policy developments.
- Investigative reporting on the livestock industry.
Our rates start at $200 and go up from there. We pay higher rates for experienced journalists, and for stories that require significant reporting or research.
Keep in mind that our stories are also animal-sensitive — which means we always include the experience and well-being of animals in our reporting and analysis.
How to Submit:
Please send your pitch including the following to managing editor Jenny Splitter at [email protected].
- One paragraph explaining the story you want to write. This paragraph should tell us the big takeaway of your story and why it’s important to cover this angle now. Tell us what’s new that hasn’t been covered elsewhere.
- 3-5 bullet points of the points you want to make in this story.
- What are your sources: interviews, research, evidence — what backs up the main points of your piece.
- If you haven’t written for Sentient Media before, send a few links to your published work.