What We’re Looking For:
Every Sentient Media story should support our mission of changing the conversation around animal agriculture. Our coverage aims to get people talking about the impacts, injustices and consequences of meat and dairy farming. Each story should fit within at least one of our verticals: agriculture, science, climate, health or justice.
What we are looking for: original reporting that highlights new investigations, facts or research.
What we are not looking for: traditional op-eds and personal essays.
We are not looking for stories or essays that primarily address a debate within the vegan or animal rights community.
We publish big picture pieces and local reporting but in either case the story should connect to the bigger conversation about animal farming.
We’re always looking for these kinds of stories:
- New animal research, including studies of animal sentience. These stories tap into the public’s growing curiosity about the inner lives and experiences of animals.
- Factory farm investigations.
- New research on dietary or food system change.
- Stories that give the reader new information or analysis about livestock farming, climate emissions, air and water pollution, ecosystem and biodiversity impacts, rewilding projects or land use.
Our rates start at $200 and go up from there. We pay higher rates for experienced writers and journalists, and for stories that require significant reporting or research.
Keep in mind that our stories are also animal-sensitive — which means we always include the experience and well-being of animals in our reporting and analysis.
How to Submit:
Please send your pitch including the following to managing editor Jenny Splitter at [email protected].
- One paragraph explaining the story you want to write. This paragraph should tell us the big takeaway of your story and why it’s important to cover this angle now. Tell us what’s new that hasn’t been covered elsewhere.
- 3-5 bullet points of the points you want to make in this story.
- What are your sources: interviews, research, evidence — what backs up the main points of your piece.
- If you haven’t written for Sentient Media before, send a few links to your published work.