The lifetime asthma rate in Somerset County is 21%, compared to the statewide rate of 12%. In Wicomico County, 1 in 4 children can expect to be diagnosed with the disease, both according to research conducted by the Maryland Asthma Control Program, but there’s something else unique about this part of Maryland.
The residents share their neighborhoods with chickens—millions of them. In Somerset, there are as many as 95 chicken houses within a three-mile radius, according to InsideClimate News.
Read our full coverage here.
- 💗 The national standard for no-kill shelters is somewhere around 90% of animals saved. The PAWS shelter in Floyd County, GA just set a new record with 96% of animals saved. [Rome News-Tribune]
- 🗣 Ellen DeGeneres is vegan. She also knows what Californians can do for animals come November. Vote yes on Prop 12! Love, Ellen [Now This]
- 🤖 Labor represents about 50% of the cost to grow lettuce. One group of mad scientists looking for a cost-friendly alternative moved the who operation inside and replaced its workforce with two robots, Angus and Brian. [The Verge]
- 🥑 Avocados aren’t vegan. Wait… wait?! A British TV host claims the use of migratory bees in the making of avocados technically makes them not vegan. But a senior media director from PETA just fired back. [Daily Meal]
- 🌱 Word of the day: flex·i·tar·i·an noun A person who actively tries to eat less meat. In a sentence: Can flexitarians save the world? [BBC]