Proposition 12 in California would establish new cage-free housing requirements for baby veal calves, mother pigs, and egg-laying hens. The ballot initiative looks similar to California’s first “cage-free” initiative from 2008, Proposition 2, that requires space for farm animals to move around freely, lie down, stand up, and fully extend their limbs. The major difference here is that Proposition 12 specifies the number of square feet needed for each animal. As you can imagine, “room to spread out” was open to interpretation, especially when the animal has wings. Farm animals need your help.
- 🔥 Chickens make up 95% of all animal deaths in barn fires. Between 2013 and 2017, 326 barn fires killed at least 2,763,924 farm animals in the United States, most of which were caused by faulty heating equipment. [Animal Welfare Institute]
- 🤮 The FDA found glyphosate, the most commonly used herbicide in the world, in corn, soybeans, and pet food. Many regulators call the levels tolerable, but many others point out that the daily intake, even of small doses of the poisonous chemical, can result in organ failure. [Sustainable Pulse]
- ❌ Do you support cruelty to animals? I didn’t think so, but if you’re looking for some reinforcement, watch this video (caution: graphic). [Mercy For Animals]
- 🤟 Wild and domestic animals everywhere need your love and support. Check out how the rest of the world celebrated World Animal Day. [EcoWatch]
- 😍 We usually hold off on cute photos of animals, but then there’s this three-month-old golden retriever named Marshall. Enjoy. [New York Post]