Guess who eats the most alternatives to meat, millennials or non-millennials? Okay, that was a leading question, I know. But I bet you’ll still be happy to hear that 8 in 10 millennials eat meat alternatives, compared to half of non-millennials. Taste is consistently the most important factor in everyone’s decision to eat non-meat proteins. Clear labeling of no artificial ingredients, non-GMO, and protein content is up there too. [Mintel]
- 🙌 The companies behind the Global Coalition for Animal Welfare collectively feed 3.7 billion people every day. Focussing on the 70 billion land animals farmed around the world clearly wasn’t enough. The coalition first target group of farmed animals will be fish, specifically salmon. [The Fish Site]
- 🌱 How do we feed 10 billion people by 2050? According to a new study, the best way to stay fed and mitigate the changes to the climate that will occur between now and then is to incorporate more plant-based foods into the global food system. [Nature]
- 😭 United Airlines recorded a 75% year-over-year increase in the number of emotional support animals on its flights. But when a woman tried to board a Frontier Airlines flight with her emotional support squirrel, she was told the animals was a rodent and was not allowed onboard. [NPR]
- 💼 Barron’s just announced its 100 most sustainable companies. You might be surprised by who made the list. [Barron’s]
- 🙀 Pets can be anxious, too. Just like when a baby cries at the crack of thunder, does your dog bark at the sky? [Nautilus]
Sentient Media editorial team.